Tuesday, May 27, 2014

TobyMac is back...with no slack.


Yeah, in August, 2012, TobyMac came out with his latest album, "Eye On It." Yes, that was two years ago but apparently, it hasn't faded yet.  K-Love has him up as a nominee for both Artist of the year and male artist of the year. We won't know until June but,  last year, he won an artist of the year award. So, I wouldn't be surprised if he got it again. Granted, he has talent. And, quite frankly, he's been an extremely influential person in my life. However, I think his view on things has changed since, oh, I don't know....The Dc Talk days back in '89 when he worked with his college friend, Micheal Tait from the Newsboys)and Kevin Max(From Audio Adrenaline) It was also during this time that he met his wife, Amanda Levy, who is if you didn't know a Jamaican. Toby is now 49 years old as of October 22. Meaning, he is was born in 1964. Well, it's true. He's pretty smart in the industry. Has a lot of experience and knowledge to offer. He's taken many artists under his wing. And not only produces but also has his own record label called, "Gotee Records." He's signed people like, Jamie Grace, Capital Kings and Ryan Stevenson. He's getting more famous as the time passes, but...that's not necessarily always good. He seems to have changed his view on things as this interview seems to suggest. http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/meet-tobymac-one-of-christian-musics-biggest-stars/2013/10/31/ab620922-40ab-11e3-9c8b-e8deeb3c755b_story.html
          Not only does he no longer look at his job as a ministry but, a business, he's not as deep as he used to be. I'm not saying he's compromising. Like I said, Toby is an amazing artist. I'm just a little uneasy about all of it. I noticed...he plays secular music at his concerts now. Just briefly but, is that something that should happen at a concert that's trying to reach out to people in a positive way? TobyMac Dancing to Justin Timberlake at his show  Now don't get me wrong. Justin has a good voice. But should you really be mixing secular music in with a Christian concert?? Just some food for thought. Here's another one....DJ Maj playing a FUN song at the TobyMac concert Just not sure what I think about all this suggestive stuff in the midst of a God-honoring concert. Like I said, maybe nobody else has an issue with that. And if you don't, that's okay. I'm just addressing all the angles here. Not judging (How could I if I used to be like...his biggest fan?!). I'm still expecting him to come out with a new album! Readily waiting!!! He definitely has talent! Here's a really good (and funny) interview from when the album first came out. He hints that it could be 3 years before he comes out with a new album. That was almost two years ago so...in about a year...we may be in for a surprise! ~KJ


No comments:

Post a Comment