Friday, July 25, 2014

Food for thought Friday - Key Words


                                                                                                                                     
I just want to try this for a few weeks and see how it works. After all...this IS a Christian blog and I want to honor that by not only blogging primarily about Christian music (which is great) but also dedicate a time about life as a Christian. Thus begins my "Food for thought Friday" posts. :)
As Christians, we  need to love people well. That means, not caring about their backgrounds and treating them well, ministering to them accordingly. So, think WWJD (What Would Jesus Do)? Personally, I like to give myself a list of key words. Obviously, the goal as a Christian is to be Christ-like.So, completely following the bible is crucial. No, we aren't going to be perfect at it. But we try. That being said, I'm going to give an example of the "list of key words" that I'm talking about. When I say "key words", I mean, things that we want to focus on in our spiritual walk with Christ. Every true Christian wants an intimate relationship with Christ and to grow closer to Him, but each person has certain ways to ensure that happens. The purpose of the words are sort of like those of a resolution; to strengthen where you need strengthening and strive to where you want to be...which actually should never stop because we can NEVER be too close to God. So, here's what MY resolution looks like. And no, I'm not perfect at it. In fact, sometimes I'm just plain bad at it. But this is the goal I have currently set myself.
 1. PRIORITY. As much as I love music, I want to prioritize where my mind is. Am I an aspiring Christian music artist? Yes. But, do I need to love Christ more? Yes.  It's hard. When that's all you're feeding your brain with, even though it's all Christian stuff, the focus is riveted away from the biblical aspect at a certain point. I need to be aware when that turning point from passion to obsession comes and back off a bit. How did/do I resolve it? Well, here's one thing: The Challenge. The Challenge was originally begun by Alan Powell from Anthem Lights. He began to memorize two scriptures a day, starting with 1 Peter and continued on with 2 Peter...then Jude, then James ect. I decided that it was EXACTLY what I needed to do. I struggle with reading my bible daily, but when you make a commitment like that, you can't HELP but pull your bible out every day. It's helped my immensely because, when that was made my number one priority, I felt edified and closer to God. 
2. ADVANCE. This one is simple. If you do the same thing, you're going to get the same result. I don't know about you but, I'm not afraid to advance into whatever God wants me to do in my life. Some people are afraid of change. Why? God MADE change. People change, weather changes, plants change....Everything honestly happens for a reason, so why not embrace it? I'm excited for God's master plan, and I want to stay that way. :)
3. TRUST. Trusting Christ is often one of the most hard things in the world to do. But it's just as much important. God has a plan for you and He's going to use you for His plan. And I don't think you could possibly want anything more. I know, you have dreams. So do I. But you need to be open for God to speak to you and change those dreams in a heartbeat. It happens! But don't worry. What He has for you is FAR greater than what you want. 
4. BE(YOU)TIFUL. I struggled really bad with this one for awhile. :( But then God brought me out of it and showed me His way of looking at it. So, let me share it with you. God doesn't make mistakes. He made you for a purpose. You don't have to be what everyone else says you have to be. Be YOU! Be the person God made you to be. You're amazing just the way you are (No. It's not just a Bruno Mars song lyrics. It's really true!). The world makes these stereotypes of how people should look when truthfully, they're WRONG. Beauty comes form the heart. There's only one you so make the best of it and shine your light! <3 
5. LOVING & SERVING OTHERS. Life isn't about you. It's about Christ. So, don't be self centered. Serving and loving others means putting them first. I work on that DAILY. It's hard. But serving is what Jesus spent His life doing. So, we should do the same. Put ourselves lower than others and have a servants heart. 
6. HOLDING ACCOUNTABLE NOT JUDGING. People mix the two up. Holding our brother or sister in Christ accountable is VERY different than judging. Judging is when we're always looking at other people for their faults and pointing them out with a holier-than-thou attitude. Not cool. Holding accountable is when we see something we know is wrong that our brother or sister in Christ is doing and we care for them so, we lovingly tell them(keep in mind that if WE'RE struggling with the same thing, we're being hypocrites by telling somebody else they're wrong and should deal with ourselves first). HUGE difference. But seriously, look at everyone in love and put aside petty differences. :)
Well, that's about it (at least, I think it is....I might have forgotten a few, therefore, I may have to post the rest later but for now, at least you get the point about my "keywords." Hopefully I've given you some food for thought. :)
Love and blessings! ~KJ

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Kiah. Very thought-provoking. :)

    -Tia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! Your commitment to growing in Christ is going to produce beautiful things in your life! And don't give up on the Challenge - the word is powerful and there is great blessing for the one who meditates on it day and night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that. It's very encouraging, Mrs. Klein. :)

      Delete